Here are the instructions to take a full backup of your WordPress website!
A full cPanel backup is a complete image of your website which you can download to your computer.
We can go through this on the phone if you choose to book a training session to learn how to create a FULL cPanel backup of your website ($50 for existing netgenus.com customers) – or you can do this yourself if you prefer. Written instructions are below.
HOW TO CREATE A FULL BACKUP OF YOUR WORDPRESS WEBSITE USING YOUR cPanel
First you need to log into your cPanel
(all netgenus customers are using cPanel)
LOGIN LINK: www.your-domain.com/cpanel
Now, step-by-step to create a FULL cPANEL BACKUP:
- Log into the cPanel
- 3rd or 4th section down is Files
- Select Backup Wizard
- Left panel says ‘ Backup‘ – click the “Backup–>’ button
- Now Left panel says ‘ Full Backup’ – click the “Full Backup–>‘ button
- Red letters say ‘Generate a Full Backup’ – click ‘Generate Backup‘ button (enter your own email address in the box if you wish and leave the dropdown to the default ‘Home Directory’)
- Now there is notification screen that your backup is in progress
- Click ‘Go Back‘
- Then refresh the screen every so often to see when the filename (ends with tar.gz) is a blue hyperlink which will allow you to download
- Click the blue hyperlink when it’s ready and choose whereabouts on your hard drive to save it
- Keep on file as a restore point, like an insurance policy – this is the full site AS OF THIS DATE
- ON THE DAY that you want to initiate a migration or restore, you should do the backup again and use that (so the latest posts will be there). In case you don’t have a good hosting company, you may one day find yourself in a situation where a tar.gz is the best way to a known-good version of your website and you will THANK YOURSELF for having this on file!
It’s simple – you’ll see!